Re: LYNX-DEV Treatment of ­ ?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Treatment of ­ ?
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 12:23:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, Nikhil Nair wrote:

> I'm often reading material with dashes and hyphens encoded as `­'
> instead of `-'.  This worked fine under an old version of Lynx, but I've
> upgraded to 2.6 (yes, I know that's old now, but ...), and find that, if
> there's a space before and after the dash and it isn't at the end of a
> line, it isn't printed - I just get two spaces without a dash in between.
> That isn't very helpful when you're using a speech synthesiser!
>
> So, is this a bug in 2.6 which was later fixed, or is there some way of
> configuring it so I get the old behaviour?  Although I will upgrade at
> some stage, I'd rather configure this for now, if that can be done.

No, it is not a bug...  RFC 2070 HTML Internationalization has this to
say:

      NOTE -- the SOFT HYPHEN character (U+00AD) needs special attention
      from user-agent implementers.  It is present in many character
      sets (including the whole ISO 8859 series and, of course, ISO
      10646), and can always be included by means of the reference
      ­.  Its semantics are different from the plain HYPHEN: it
      indicates a point in a word where a line break is allowed.  If the
      line is indeed broken there, a hyphen must be displayed at the end
      of the first line.  If not, the character is not dispalyed at all.
      In operations like searching and sorting, it must always be
      ignored.

There is no way (that I know) built into Lynx to configure this off.

  Klaus

;
;