Re: LYNX-DEV FTP URL with ;type=I

From: Howard Kaikow
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV FTP URL with ;type=I
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 22:02:31 -0400

At 06:15 PM 4/13/97 -0500, Klaus Weide wrote:
>That may be a flaw, but you can easily change the suggested filename by
>deleting that part.

Yes.

>You can read all of the CHANGES* files without downloading the full
>sources, for example <URL:ftp://www.slcc.edu/pub/lynx/fote/lynx2-7-1/>.

OK

>You are incorrect in assuming that the FTP type parameter has something to
>do with the media type (MIME type) that Lynx will assume for an FTP file.
>The type parameter is just acting on a lower level (the FTP protocol) -
>it lets Lynx send a 'TYPE I' command to the FTP server, equivalent to a
>'bin' or 'image' command (or whatever the syntax is) in command-line FTP.
>Between Unix machines, it usually doesn't make any difference whether this
>is used.

I understood that, but I thought that FTP would simply Download the file in
binary, instead, it is getting processed as text, I guess before the
Download occurs.

>Anyway, that does have no influence on what media tye Lynx assigns to
>what it receives from the server.  That is determined (for "type-less"
>protocols, i.e. not HTTP) by looking at the filename.  The mappings
>from filename suffixes to media types can be configured in lynx.cfg
>and in EXTENSION_MAP files (typically named mime.types and .mime.types).
>There are also hardwired defaults for some suffixes in Lynx, but ".doc"
>is not one of them.  If Lynx cannot find a mapping, it assumes
>"text/plain" and tries to display the file.

>So, (1) the ";type=I" may not be necessary, (2) You should map ".doc"
>to "application/msword" (if that's what it is) or similar, and/or
>ask you ISP to do so in the global mapping file; and also instruct
>others who may want to retrieve the files to do the equivalent, or
>just use the 'Download' function of their browser ('D' key in Lynx).

Yes, but my ISP correctly states that .doc is not necessarily a Word file
and could be text so others would be affected if lynx.cfg were changed to
associate .doc with msword.

I have a .htaccess in my www page that defines application/msword, the
problem is that this does not apply to files on the FTP server, only those
on the HTTP server in my directory tree.

Is there something that I can put in my www page that will affect Downloads
from te FTP server?

I need to keep those files on the FTP server for various reasons.

>I just tried to access your URL with ";type=I" through a squid proxy,
>and its ftpget didn't understand the parameter syntax at all.
>So if you want to offer links to those documents to others, it is probably
>safer to leave the type parameter out.

I would prefer to not have the type parameter, but I need to find someway
to force the download in binary.

>> <DD><A

href="ftp://ftp.mv.com/pub/users/standards/public/annex01a.doc";type=I>DOC</A>

>That is not valid HTML syntax.  Lynx just ignores the ;type=I as junk.

I realized that. I was just trying it as nothing else seemed to work.

My only recourse is to use .zip files, but some Mac users might not like that.
;
;