LYNX-DEV "Line editor" problem

From: dski
Subject: LYNX-DEV "Line editor" problem
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 08:37:52 +0800

The following private exchange is being posted with permission.
> >Is the problem in sending mail or in filling out forms?
>
> Thank you for your response.  The problem is in sending mail.  I believe I
> have had the same problem however in other large text areas.

Aha! As I suspected.

Lynx has a built-in line editor for filling out forms, typing in URLs,
etc., but for e-mail it calls a *separate program*. The only full-screen
editor guaranteed to be found on all Unix systems is vi, so Lynx calls
that by default. Vi looks very much like a line editor to those who
haven't learned it, but it is actually a text processor with full -- if
non-obvious -- cursor control.

You can (a) learn vi, or (b) find (or put!) another editor on the system
Lynx is running on and adjust Lynx so it will automatically call that
editor when you wish to compose e-mail. I have Lynx (and Elm!) set to
call an editor called JOE, and I have JOE set to work just like a word
processor I have used for fifteen years.

I suspect you are new to Unix and will need some help. I'm not much
further along, but I can try. Would you like to do (a) or (b)? And would
you object if I sent a copy of this exchange to the lynx-dev list, where
you posted your original query?