Re: LYNX-DEV deleting bookmarks: bug

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV deleting bookmarks: bug
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 12:50:17 -0400 (EDT)

970415 Howard Kaikow wrote:
> I find that I am able to edit lynx_bookmarks.html with an ordinary text
> editor such as jed or pico or edit.
>
> At 11:31 PM 4/14/97 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
--- snip ---
> >thanx for telling me: i raised this on the list a couple of months ago
> >& was told by all but one respondent that they couldn't reproduce it;
> >the one (other) was left as puzzled as me.
> >
> >so WHY is the bookmark file not a regularly editable file?

there's no problem if you edit the bookmark file with an ordinary editor,
provided you stick to simply deleting lines or making amendments in them.
problems arise if you try to do fancier things.
the BUG hits you if you try to use  r  to delete an entry
while viewing the bookmark file within Lynx,
when it deletes the entry ABOVE the one which is hilited:
that's the bug i discovered & one other person had encountered,
but no-one else could reproduce.
according to Fote (i think it was) the bookmark file isn't an ordinary file,
but has some wierd format which screws up Lynx if it contains anything
other than what might have been put there by the  a  command.
it's not a big bug, but it's still a bug.

Lynx-dev threads, like may bugs, have a very short life.

;