Re: LYNX-DEV Another fotemods.zip update

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Another fotemods.zip update
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 01:01:50 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       Another update of tonight's fotemods.zip (this should be it for
> tonight 8-) is available in:
>
>       http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/fote/patches
>
> 1997-04-15
> * Miscellanous additional tweaks in HTML.c for more robust error recovery
>   from bad HTML involving emphasis or style elements (B, BLINK, CITE, EM,
>   FONT, I, STRONG, and U), or HREF-less NAME-ed Anchors without matching
>   end tags. - FM
> * Modified the declarations in HTMLDTD.c and code in SGML.C, HTML.c, and
>   GridText.c to handle A, B, BLINK, CITE, EM, FONT, I, STRONG, and U
>   container elements homologously to the modified handling of FORM (see
>   1997-04-05 mods) so that if they are invalidly interdigitated or have
>   spurious end tags in the markup, substitutions of the "expected" end
>   tags by the SGML.c stack-based parser will not be made, and without
>   messing up the HTML.c stack-based parser.  Appears to work reliably
>   for all of the elements, and to be reasonably crash safe (hopefully
>   as safe as the vanilla v2.7.1), but there are no guarantees. - FM

This sounds scary...
If you go on at that pace, where won't be anything left to do for
the stack-based parsing !?  I wonder whether there is anything which
can not be subjected to the same treatment for principal reasons...

I would appreciate reports to lynx-devfrom people who have tried Fote's
latest code, does it improve then handling of invalid pages?  Does it make
more sense of the typical invalid HTML than standard Lynx 2.7.1 (or
devel)?

  Klaus

;
;