Re: LYNX-DEV Wyse terminal difficulties

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Wyse terminal difficulties
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 03:52:55 -0700

Bruce Gullion wrote:

>  I am attempting to install a Lynx terminal browser.  I am installing it
> on an Intel i586 running Red Hat's Linux V4.1.  I am wanting to get the
> Lynx to respond to a Wyse 50 terminal connection over a telnet
> connection.
>
> I have used the TERM=wy50 / export TERM setting of the Linux environment
> variable to set the terminal type at login in the .bash_profile file.
>
> I am using ProCom's telnet with Wyse50 emulator over a local IP network
> for testing.
>
> The Lynx responds quite well in VT100 mode but in when I switch the
> terminal type to wy50 the screen attributes are not acting correctly.

It sounds like ProCom is correctly emulating a Wyse 50.  The wy50's
attribute handling is just about unusable for a program like Lynx.  It
can only display one attribute on a screen, unless the program is
willing to put up with "magic cookies".  These are special non-displayed
characters which cause an attribute change, but also take up a character
cell on the display.  It is possible to display:

  Normal Inverse Bright

on a Wyse 50, but impossible to display:

  NormalInverseBright

if each word displays the named attribute.

> The enter does not work, the tab does not work and such.  I can see the
> ASCII text ok but as for anything else it is unusable.

The Wyse 50's arrow keys send Left=^H, Right=^L, Up=^K, Down=^J.  Most
of those keys have special meanings other than "arrow" to Lynx.  (I'm
not sure why Tab would fail, though.  What if you hit ^I?)

> My questions:
>
> Is the TERM variable the correct way to set the terminal type?

Yes.

> Do I need to do anything to Lynx to inform it that I am using a Wyse50?

Your best bet is to not use a Wyse 50!  Your comm software has other,
far better emulations; use them.  If you're doing this because you have
a warehouse of real Wyse 50's to bring online, look in their setup
menus.  Maybe real Wyse 50's know how to emulate something usable.

>Bela<
;
;