Re: LYNX-DEV deleting bookmarks: bug

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV deleting bookmarks: bug
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 13:16:44 -0400 (EDT)

  From: "Hiram Lester, Jr." <address@hidden>

  Since this seems to be such a troublesome issue (I've been bitten as
  well), why can't we add a comment to the beginning of the file similar to
  what Netscape does that says not to edit the file or at least not to
  change the format of the file or removing bookmarks may not work properly.
  Netscape has some comment about "This is a Netscape's bookmark file.  It
  is generated automatically.  Do not edit this file by hand."

The present state of affairs is unsafe enough that some such warning
is a good idea.  I am not totally sure about the flat "do not edit..."
because
        - the <OL> formatting with links-are-numbered is bad
        - re-ordering one's bookmarks is a useful thing that
                requires hand editing.

So I would prefer if we can come up with the right short list of things
that can be safely done by hand, that we write that up and say "do
not edit by hand without first consulting {some document reference}.

--
Al Gilman
;