Re: LYNX-DEV Can Lynx do anything with ISMAPs

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Can Lynx do anything with ISMAPs
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 21:20:06 -0400 (EDT)

  To: address@hidden
  Subject: LYNX-DEV Can Lynx do anything with ISMAPs

  I am not sure where, but I got the impression that Lynx might be able
  to do something useful with the likes of ISMAP entries.  I am not entirely
  sure how this would come to be, and this feature does not seem to be obvious
  in the online help, so I am suspecting that ISMAP is as useless to Lynx
  as it always has been.  Any further hints?

If you click on an ISMAP, Lynx will send off to the server the
equivalent of a click at the point with coordinates (0,0).

If you are lucky, the MAP definer has a good default response
from which you can navigate to the rest of the information listed
under (0,0).

Of course, if the MAP definer were that careful they probably
would have built in a USEMAP which Lynx can open and offer you
the list of links from the MAP.

There are still hacks that you can do.  You can view the source
and get the size of the sensitive area, and from that compose
your own probing g)o-to-URL sailents.  Or simply use the
l)ist-links function to expose the URL to the ISMAP and peck away
with numbers without benefit of bounds.

--
Al Gilman
;