Re: LYNX-DEV Parser stuff (was: Another fotemods.zip update)

From: Rob Partington
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Parser stuff (was: Another fotemods.zip update)
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:18:25 +0100 (BST)

Foteos Macrides wrote:

> Rob Partington <address@hidden> wrote:
> >[...]
> >ObHack: has anyone fixed the "view source too wide for my screen"
> >problem?  if not, then how about this for a quick solution: get
> >html_start_element to add "<%s>", element_name (and similarly for
> >html_end_element) to the gridtext structure when a certain flag was set?
> >you'd need to work out a way to print the attributes, but you'd get nice
> >word-wrapped source (probably have to hack split_line to understand about
> >not splitting in certain places in tags as well).
>
>       That's a "feature" which should be understood before changing it,
> and the FAQ'ers in particular should understand this and be able to
> explain it in the future.
>
>       There is code in GridText.c which disables wrapping in source
> mode.  It's easy for any programmer to locate that and disable it, but
> if you do, should you save the HTML source via the 'p'rint menu, the
> HText structure will retain such "artificial" wraps, and newlines will
> be present on the ends of such lines -- causing spaces to be inserted
> at those points -- when rendering the saved (but thereby "corrupted")
> source file with a browser.

i'm not intending it to be a substitute for the source mode, more an
enhancement - perhaps showing element tags in different colours a la
netscape etc.  it'd be a very poor substitute anyway, because it'll be
the source code as represented on the screen by lynx (which may or may
not bear any resemblance to the actual source code.)

ideally, you'd be able to toggle between "normal web display" and "quick
source overview" immediately - all you do is redraw the screen with a
different stylesheet (admittedly, it's a bit more difficult than that
since introducing the <element> texts will muck up the screen, but i'm
convinced it can be done - probably because i haven't tried it yet...)

it's meant as an additional feature rather than a replacement for the
current "view source" code.  given that it doesn't take that much to
quickly implement it, i'm sure the benefits (no page reload for a quick
source overview) outweigh the cost of implementation (add two char*'s to
a structure, and code to print them).

comments?  flames?
--
rob partington / address@hidden / address@hidden