LYNX-DEV External command

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: LYNX-DEV External command
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 00:00:05 -0400 (EDT)

I was thinking about adding an external command in lynx when I realized
there would be a snag, you wouldn't be able to spawn an external program
on the result of form data being sent.  I am willing to live with this and
I was looking for comments on the subject.

I put a sinular feature into bobcat and it is a very handy command in the
dos world, but it would be equally handy in multitasking systems for the
following:

highlight a selected link
press the LYK_EXTERNAL key
the EXTERNAL:<url_type>:command: takes over

The most relevant command I can think of is wget which is a command line
html and ftp grabber that can do silent, backgrounded transfers.

EXTERNAL:html:wget -q %s &
EXTERNAL:ftp:wget -q %s &

This would allow for background downloads.  As I said in the beginning,
since we can't actually take control of an already open connection (at
least, I can't), we can't do this for files that are the result of a form.
There will be security issues as well, but I had planned to make it
totally #ifdef'ed so you could compile it out as well as leaving the
ending :TRUE/FALSE support for building code simular to downloaders.

Phew, a little too wordy but you get the idea.  Mainly, I am wondering if
people like/hate the idea and if there may be a better way I might be
missing.  As I have it now, everything looks like a downloader list and
the code is very simular to LYK_ADD_BOOKMARK in LYMainloop.c which then
calls a function in another .c file to do some sanity checking and
building/running the command.  I didn't actually finish the work on Lynx
2.7x but that is basically what I did for bobcat.

Wayne

;
;