Re: LYNX-DEV same document retrieved several times

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV same document retrieved several times
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 02:54:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Arthur Marsh wrote:

> Hi, I've found that with the following URL, jumping to another place on the
> same page marked by #label will cause a complete reload of the same page,
> yet if the META tags are removed, the jumps are instantaneous.
>
> Any clues? Is this fixed in a later version of Lynx?

It has this in the HEAD element:

<META NAME="DOCUMENT-TYPE" CONTENT="Information Sheet">
<META NAME="EXPIRES" CONTENT="19980131">
<META NAME="SOURCE" CONTENT="Projects database">
<META NAME="TITLE" CONTENT=" Information Technology Group &amp;
Communications Technologies Group">
<META NAME="AUTHOR" CONTENT="David Bruce-Steer">
<META NAME="OWNER" CONTENT="Standards Australia">
<META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="A list of technical committees &amp;

and some more.  These are clearly not meant as HTTP equivalent headers,
yet Lynx tries to interpret the one with "EXPIRES" that way.
It doesn't have a date in a valid HTTP header format, but Lynx
apparently interprets it as something in the past, meaning the
document is pre-expired.

I guess I will take the interpretation of <META NAME=..> as equivalent
to <META HTTP-EQUIV=..> out of the development code, unless someone
convinces me that it is a good thing...

Even with a valid expires header in the past, Lynx shouldn't retrieve
the document again when an internal link (given by just a fragment)
is followed, but that is another story..

   Klaus

;
;