LYNX-DEV canceling things: ctrl+G & ctrl+C

From: JDD(Jeff)
Subject: LYNX-DEV canceling things: ctrl+G & ctrl+C
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 10:45:55 -0700 (PDT)

As within many commands in Unix and MS-DOS, ctrl+C breaks out of
'lynx', which may not be precisely what you wanted to do if you
were simply trying to cancel some input.  To cancel input,
ctrl+G is often used in 'lynx' and a few other Unix commands.

Typing 'c' to send a comment to a document owner says:

> Use Ctrl-G to cancel if you do not want to send a message

JDD writes:

Also, if you have numbered links and you start to follow a link
(type a number) and change your mind before hitting Enter, you
can use ctrl+G to cancel the input.

Linkname: Help on Lynx Keystroke Commands
says:

> CTRL-G         - Cancel input or transfer

Linkname: Help on Misc. Lynx Commands
Owner(s): mailto:address@hidden
says:

> CTRL-G   - Cancels any input prompt, mail message or data
> transfer.

What I say now probably won't affect most users unless they use
'emacs' as their editor, although I haven't tested for the
problem with other editors.  Mostly, this is a bug report.  If
it's already documented, could I have the URL for previous
reports?

When I use 'c' to send a comment, I'm taken into 'emacs' because
that's the editor I've defined in the 'lynx' options screen.
When I use ctrl+G to cancel 'emacs' input, disaster strikes.
Somehow, 'lynx' grabs the ctrl+G.  After that, 'emacs' seems to
get keystrokes again, but ctrl+C is received as ctrl+G (how?).

Here's an example of the bug.  I hit 'c' and answer 'lynx'
questions until I get into 'emacs'.  The last 2 lines on the
screen are

> -----Emacs: L212860TMP.txt
> (Fundamental)--L1--All--------------------------
    ^^
> For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type f1 C-p.

JDD writes:

So you can see I haven't modified the document.  To demonstrate
the bug, I hit ctrl+G.

The first 3 lines of the screen are now:

> Error spawning  ditor, check your editor definition in the options menu
>
> Send this comment? (y/n)

And the last 2 lines of the screen are:

> -----Emacs: L212860TMP.txt
> (Fundamental)--L1--All--------------------------
> Quit

JDD writes:

So apparently ctrl+G was grabbed by both 'lynx' _and_ 'emacs'
(how?).

I type 'n' to answer the 'lynx' prompt, and the first line of
the screen is now:

  ^

And the last 2 lines of the screen are:

> --**-Emacs: L212860TMP.txt
> (Fundamental)--L1--All--------------------------
    ^^

JDD writes:

Now, when I M-x, 'describe-key', Enter, C-x, C-c, I'm told:
                                             ^^^

> C-x C-g is undefined
      ^^^

JDD writes:

In order to get rid of this disaster, I can type M-x,
'kill-emacs', Enter (which leaves me talking to 'lynx'), ctrl+G,
'Q', Enter.

As you can imagine, the first several times this happened, I was
thoroughly confused since I didn't even realize ctrl+G was
causing the problem (I hit it pretty automatically during
incremental searches in 'emacs' and some other times).

Thanks,
-> *JDD** -->> [link]  [link]  [link]   Click HERE for more ...
Internet E-Mail:  <address@hidden>
WWW ('lynx') URL: http://www.sasquatch.com/~jddjeff/
Diversity University (D.U.: 'tf MOO.DU.Org 8888'): JDD (#7197)

;
;