LYNX-DEV 'Socksification' of unix program

From: Istituto di Igiene
Subject: LYNX-DEV 'Socksification' of unix program
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 21:43:14 +0200

Hello everybody!

        I'm tring to compile the Linux version of the well-know character-based
WWW browser 'Lynx' version 2.7.0 using the support for a Socks5 proxy. I'm
using the exportable version of Socks5 (available on
ftp.nec.com/pub/socks/socks5/socks5-beta-0.17.1-exportable.tar.gz), but I
can't find the source code for the library needed to compile a client (as
Lynx is) for Socks5 support.

        That's what happens...

        When I try to compile Lynx2.7, 'gcc' compiler says:

LYUtils.o(.text+0x97a): undefined reference to `Rselect'
../WWW/Library/unix/libwww.a(HTFTP.o): In function `get_listen_socket':
HTFTP.o(.text+0x13fa): undefined reference to `Rgetsockname'
HTFTP.o(.text+0x1462): undefined reference to `Rbind'
HTFTP.o(.text+0x14ba): undefined reference to `Rgetsockname'
HTFTP.o(.text+0x157d): undefined reference to `Rlisten'
../WWW/Library/unix/libwww.a(HTFTP.o): In function `HTFTPLoad':
HTFTP.o(.text+0x4d28): undefined reference to `Raccept'
../WWW/Library/unix/libwww.a(HTTCP.o): In function `HTDoConnect':
HTTCP.o(.text+0x59f): undefined reference to `Rconnect'
HTTCP.o(.text+0x691): undefined reference to `Rselect'
../WWW/Library/unix/libwww.a(HTTCP.o): In function `HTDoRead':
HTTCP.o(.text+0x8fc): undefined reference to `Rselect'

        These are linking errors. The makefile is correctly configured (at
least,
I think so!). The Socks5 client library I used to compile and link is:

        /lib/libsocks5.a

        but I also tried with the:

        /lib/libsocks5_sh.so

        I tried to look for the missing symbols (Rselect, Rgetsockname, etc.) in
the source code of Socks5 package, but I seem prototypes for 'Rlisten',
'Raccept', etc.  functions don't exist in socks5 client library. I tried to
look for prototypes of the missing symbols in the 'libsocks5.a', too (using
'less' command, I know it isn't the best way :-)) ).

        It's about two days I'm looking for a workaround.. What is the Socks5
library containg 'Rconnect', 'Raccept', etc. symbols ? Can anyone help me ?

        Bye, Achille.
   Istituto di Igiene (Dir. Prof. GC Vanini)
   Università Cattolica del S. Cuore - Roma
http://uniserv.ccr.rm.cnr.it/igiene/igiene.htm