LYNX-DEV Lynx and XML

From: Andrew Kuchling
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx and XML
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 14:01:09 -0400 (EDT)

Christopher Maden wrote:
> One of the reasons I'm so excited about XML is that it's a chance for
> the Web community to make a fresh start and recover from all the crap
> out there that calls itself HTML.  Lynx (and other browsers) can
> continue to do what they do now for HTML, but do things the Right Way
> for XML.

        This is off-topic for the lynx-dev list, but I'll ask it
anyway. :) Surely there's more to XML than just an XML parser?  I
understand that XML is a simplified version of SGML, intended to allow
defining custom mark-up languages.  However, how would the semantics
of the custom languages be defined?  That is, if I defined the
following markup:

<FUNCDEF>
  <NAME>encode-quoted-printable</NAME>
  <PARAMS>input, output, quotetabs</PARAMS>
  <DESC>This function does quoted printable encoding</DESC>
</FUNCDEF>

how would I specify the rendering as, say:

encode-quoted-printable (input, output, quotetabs)
    This function does quoted printable encoding.

Would this be done via style-sheets, or DSSSL?  Or is the semantic
encoding unspecified?

        Andrew Kuchling
        address@hidden
        http://people.magnet.com/%7Eamk/