Re: LYNX-DEV http://lynx.browser.org/ download file problems

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV http://lynx.browser.org/ download file problems
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 01:39:25 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 25 Apr 1997 address@hidden wrote:

> I am just learning to use lynx and I am still feeling my way around
> I am currently trying to download files that can be stored on our server as a
> miny mirror site
> as a mini mirror site for the larger and more popular files
>
> My problem is that
>
>         :when I download some files they get to the end where they should
>         be saved but the save to disc prompt dosn't come up and the file is
> lost
>
> this is getting very frustrating

Without more details it is hard to guess what is going wrong.
Does this happen only with soem kinds of files? (for example
binary files; compressed files; file from ftp URLs)

Anyway, if Lynx has finished receiving the file, you *may* still
find it (with a cryptic name) in /tmp/ (or whatever place your copy
of Lynx uses to temporarily store files) *before* you exit Lynx.
You may want to check there (maybe from a shell, you could use
'!' or ^Z to uses a shell without exiting Lynx).

Try to use -trace or the ^T key to see if there are some messages
that give more info.

> otherwise I am very happy with the program
>
> the system on the server is linux
> the terminal program I am using to access it is NetTerm
> the linux version is about 12 months old
> the lynx version is the 2.7.1
>
> I live in the South  West of Western Australia and so the download times are
> not anything
> like you get
>
> (is it possible to set the save file parameters before you begin to download
> the file)

Read the comments about SAVE_SPACE in lynx.cfg.

> one other quick question which may be a RTFM but is it possible move through
> the links on a page
> several at a time

You _may_ want to try the development code at
<URL:http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/> and test the "123 Goto" command
recently discussed (see the lynx-dev archives at
<URL:http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/>), or Lynx 2.7.1 with Fote's patches
(see <URL: http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/fote/>) which also have that feature.

Or just try the '<' and '>' keys.

  Klaus