Re: LYNX-DEV RP colors - I have seen them :)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV RP colors - I have seen them :)
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 08:15:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 26 Apr 1997, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> Tried lynx-2.7.1RP+wb+ct-0.1.zip.  The build seemed to go all right,
> but the binary core dumps with a segment fault.

Sorry Henry, I tried to do what I could till it wouldn't dump core for me;
beyond that, if problems are caused by Rob's code, he should fix them now.
To make sure that the problems are not cause by my merging his changes
with the experimental code, you might want to go back to just "2.7 +
Styles 0.2" + my fixes - get them from the patch-o-matic page as diffs
against Rob's package, it's only a moderate amount of changes, get the
2.7RP-0.2.1 -> 2.7RP-0.2.2 diff.  Rob may also want to start with that,
or with 2.7.1RP-0.2.1 (the above + upgrade 2.7 -> 2.7.1).

I think the ball is in Rob's court again now.  In any case, "it dumps
core" isn't detailed enough to find what's wrong.

> I had to put -Styles
> insides the quotes for the agent string in userdefs.h to get it to
> compile.

...where it should have been in the first place.  That was wrong, thanks
for pointing it out.

I should add that I do get the color styles working with a color linux
console (telnetted in to solaris).  TERM=linux, I also get colors with
TERM=ansi, but all that may depend on the terminfo/(termcap) details and
the (n)curses version.  I also didn't see any non-default (i.e. non-black)
backgrounds, but that may be because the .lss entries (I used the ones
that were posted here by Rob) didn't use them for any of the tags
occurring on the few pages I looked at.  (I changed the parsing of the
.lss entries to recognize ',' as well as ':' as separator between fg and
bg color, since Rob's code and comments seemed inconsistent; maybe I did
something wrong there.)

With colors working, there is still the problem that colors are not
"stable" - for example, look at a section (paragraph) that starts within
the currently displayed page.  move down-by-two (^N w/o "emacs keys"),
and when the start of the para is not on the current page any more, the
color of the whole remainder of the section may change. (Or maybe it is
the other way round: look at a section whose start is not on the current
page, then move up (^P w/o emacs keys) until it is.

I saw "Refresh screen" ^L toggle the color of some text between magenta
and brown in a (apparently) non-deterministic manner.

the (one) color used on non-HTML pages seems to inherit some (which?)
color used on a previously viewed HTML page, and so depends on what one
has viewed before.

Maybe our ncurses expert wants to look at the code, or Rob can fix
these problems, I don't intend to try.

  Klaus

;
;