Lynx and the keyboard

From: Dan Strychalski
Subject: Lynx and the keyboard
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 22:11:07 +0800

> I really need your comments to understand the problem, because in
> my mind the PGUP, PGDN, HOME and END keys don't exist and I don't
> miss 'em.  I have only been native in LAP-6 (which ran on a
> PDP-1), VMS, and MacOS.  I went straight from VT-100 to <double click>
> without passing go.

Hi, Al. I went straight from CP/M WordStar to DOS WordStar to Word-
Starized WordPerfect to WordStarized JOE to WordStarized Word and back
(REAL fast) to WordStarized WordPerfect. Got a Mac; love it; would never
consider using it for my work. Ctrl-H is the touch typist's best friend;
Ctrl+QWERTY is all anyone but a graphics designer ever really needs.

> It is interesting that Jeff Doran, who started the lynx-learners list,
> always runs with BOTH vi-keys and emacs-keys on and just runs the
> program from the QWERTY block without ever touching the keypad, so far
> as I can tell (I cc'd him for confirm/deny).

If he never touches the keypad or a pointing device or a function,
editing, paging, or arrow key, in any program he uses, that makes at
least two of us. (If I'd read much more under the covers as I kid I might
need numbered links, but fortunately I don't; I consider myself doubly
fortunate not to have to use emacs keys.)

>                                               Now that we have control-A
> and control-E synonyms for HOME and END as well as 'b' and <SPACE> for
> PGUP and PGDN I am not sure there is a residual paging problem.

Outside of forms, the problem could be solved in 2.5 by making ^Y jump-
to-top and ^V jump-to-bottom (these keys were unassigned in 2.5). Paging
and scrolling during text input in forms is a big problem, at least up to
version 2.5.

And now that you know how up-to-date I am, I shall return to the
woodwork....

Best 'n' all,

Dan
address@hidden