LYNX-DEV Commenting on FOTEMODS comment

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV Commenting on FOTEMODS comment
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 10:18:21 -0500 (CDT)

This is from the latest fotemods changes, in LYCharUtils.c:
        /*
         *  We will be resolving a partial reference versus an http
         *  or https URL, and it has lead dots, which are retained
         *  when resolving, in compliance with the URL specs, but
         *  the request would fail if the first element of the
         *  resultant path is two dots, because no http or https
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
         *  server accepts such paths, so if that's the case, and
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
         *  strip_dots is TRUE, we'll strip that element now, but
         *  issue a message about this as "immediate feedback",
         *  such that the bad partial reference might get corrected
         *  by the document provider. - FM
         */

Not true - try http://www.alis.com/../index.de.html.  They probably
made the server accept such URLs - and there's nothing wrong with that -
to account for improper relative URLs (previously?) found in some of their
pages.

Anyway, that added code in LYCharUtils.c probably causes the bug which
Ismael Cordeiro reported - I didn't take those changes into the devel
code, so you are safe from this bug if you use that.

   Klaus

;
;