Re: LYNX-DEV Commenting on FOTEMODS comment

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Commenting on FOTEMODS comment
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 11:37:56 -0500 (EST)

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
>This is from the latest fotemods changes, in LYCharUtils.c:
>        /*
>         *  We will be resolving a partial reference versus an http
>         *  or https URL, and it has lead dots, which are retained
>         *  when resolving, in compliance with the URL specs, but
>         *  the request would fail if the first element of the
>         *  resultant path is two dots, because no http or https
>                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>         *  server accepts such paths, so if that's the case, and
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>         *  strip_dots is TRUE, we'll strip that element now, but
>         *  issue a message about this as "immediate feedback",
>         *  such that the bad partial reference might get corrected
>         *  by the document provider. - FM
>         */
>
>Not true - try http://www.alis.com/../index.de.html.  They probably
>made the server accept such URLs - and there's nothing wrong with that -
>to account for improper relative URLs (previously?) found in some of their
>pages.

        Yes, they hacked the server to do the "error recovery" equivalent
to that in the FOTEMODS.

>Anyway, that added code in LYCharUtils.c probably causes the bug which
>Ismael Cordeiro reported

        Yes, a "temp = NULL" should be moved to below a close-curley-brace,
instead of being above it, so the "insurance" FREE(temp) further down
won't act on it in the case where the partial reference began with "./"
instead of "../".  I'll be putting out an update with that fix later
today.

>                          - I didn't take those changes into the devel
>code, so you are safe from this bug if you use that.

        How lucky for the devel code users.  Are you writing a "Why
does Lynx do this?" supplement for "Lynx links" about the failures when
the lead "../" isn't stripped (except for the Alis server)?  :) :) :)

                                Fote