Re: LYNX-DEV Why does Lynx... (was: Commenting on FOTEMODS comment)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Why does Lynx... (was: Commenting on FOTEMODS comment)
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 20:05:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 26 Apr 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>       The point is that the Alis server indeed is rejecting the
> /../index.de.html path, but as a special favor to Lynx users (with
> one of the only browsers at this point in Webspace which does not
> doctor such paths itself), instead of returning a 304 error message,
> it returns its index.de.html file, via the hack of mapping
>
>       /../* to /*
>
> in its configuration file.  I should return redirection, instead.

This story certainly increases my respect for the maintainers of the Alis
server.  (After all they already have inspired the HTTP 404 status message
of the patch-o-matic script...)  I still find it a tad unusual to
describe every Webmaster's duty to "make sure those URLs we put out are
accessible" as "having pity with Lynx users"...

[...]
> >Hereby submitted to Subir (if he wants it):
>
>       It's much, much too verbose, but *is* understandable (not
> riddled with buzz words :) :) :) :) :) :) :).

Glad you like it.  Subir (or anybody else) should feel free to condense,
or restructure as he likes.

  Klaus

;
;