Re: LYNX-DEV Internal MIME types

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Internal MIME types
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 00:45:38 -0400 (EDT)

  From: Wayne Buttles <address@hidden>

  Yes, except for how it relates to Lynx specifically.  To really make
  things accessable things must be done at the server side (at least in
  part).  There are already methods to accomplish what you are describing
  (in this particular example) with the existing format.  This makes me very
  skeptical that another format will force people to do the right thing.

This is the point of my reply to Klaus.  We need to re-engineer
the underlying model so it captures the information that the
authors _do_ give us, better.  Presently there is some
information that the authors would be glad to have captured as
they create their pages, but it doesn't get represented in the
Web media that are passed along.

There has to be very little left over to "force people to do."
It has to be easy as falling off a log to do it right.

The we will get Web literature that is accessible.

<new thought>

The argument against SGML is a little more complicated.
Here is the metaphorical version:  SGML is too narrow
and rigid.  It is like a straight-jacket.  We can expect
everyone to wear clothes, but not straight-jackets.

SGML forces us to write the rules in unenforceably strict
ways, like Prohibition.

To write more savvy rules that you can stick to, you need
a sufficiently flexible fabric to cut them from.  SGML
doesn't cut it there.  XML tries to be more regular and
thereby more flexible.  We'll see how they do.

... I need to turn this one back to Chris Maden...
--
Al
;