Re: LYNX-DEV submit field glitch

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV submit field glitch
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 17:08:54 -0500 (EST)

Laura Eaves <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 12:54:43 -0500 (CDT)
>> From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>
>> Hynek sent this to me instead of the list.  I think it is a problem with
>> Laura's patch for submit fields, and also appears with the fotemods code.
>>
>> To reproduce it, you may have to set your screen width to something around
>> 80.
>
>If someone else hasn't fixed it already, the fix was just to
>put an unbreakable space for each space in the submit value.
>Here's the patch.
>I tried it and it seems to fix the problem.

        Yes, but let's try to stay together on the formatting and
comments.  Here's what I'll be putting in a fotemods update:

[...]
            if (IsSubmitOrReset == FALSE) {
                for (; chars > 0; chars--)
                    HTML_put_character(me, '_');
            } else {
                for (i = 0; I.value[i] && i < chars; i++)
                    /*
                     *  Note that if a wrap occurs before the entire
                     *  value is output, the wrapped portion will not
                     *  be highlighted or clearly indicated as part
                     *  of the link for submission or reset (Yuk!).
                     *  We'll replace any spaces in the submit or
                     *  reset button value with nbsp, to promote a
                     *  wrap at the space we ensured would be present
                     *  before the start of the string, as when we
                     *  use all underscores instead of the INPUT's
                     *  actual value, but we could still get a wrap
                     *  at the right margin, instead, if we are in a
                     *  PRE block.  Also, if chars somehow did not end
                     *  up equal to the length of the string, we'll
                     *  truncate or pad with nbsp, as appropriate. - FM
                     */
                    HTML_put_character(me, (I.value[i] ==  ' ' ?
                                            HT_NON_BREAK_SPACE : I.value[i]));
                while (i < chars)
                    HTML_put_character(me, HT_NON_BREAK_SPACE);
            }
[...]

                                Fote