LYNX-DEV Fwd: webwatch-l Strange Numbers in Lynx

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: LYNX-DEV Fwd: webwatch-l Strange Numbers in Lynx
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 97 15:47:41 EDT

I didn't see much of a response to Kelly Ford's question over on
Web-watch, and am taking the liberty of asking the question here.  I
see these  extended character entities" (not the technically
correct name) often on MSN.COM and SLATE.COM.  I see similar
characters when using MS Word 6 to save a file in one of its four
kinds of ASCII.  Are we supposed to be running Code Page 850?  Can we
even do this while running our favorite VT100 DOS communications
program into a Unix copy of Lynx?

I think that inquiring minds would like to know.