Re: LYNX-DEV SCO to use Lynx

From: Andrew Kuchling
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SCO to use Lynx
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 11:26:26 -0400 (EDT)

> i'm probably not the only subscriber to lynx-dev who doesn't know
> what  SCO  &  NLS  are & is unaware of the nature & importance (grin)
> of OpenServer & UnixWare.

        SCO is the Santa Cruz Operation; they market an x86 Unix
product (actually, several of them).  As Bela posted, a future SCO
product will be using Lynx to viewing some of its online documentation.
This is good news!

        I'm not sure of the expansion of NLS: National Locale Support?
National Language Support?  Anyway, having NLS support simply means
that the same Lynx binary can present output in various languages and
date/time formats, and the language is selectable at run time.  Right
now you can change language support at compile-time, by replacing
LYMessages_en.h with another file containing different message strings
and recompiling Lynx.  However, that doesn't help SCO much; they can't
ship dozens of Lynx binaries, each supporting a different language.

        While SCO doesn't much care about the portability of the NLS
solution (as long as it works on SCO), the rest of the lynx-dev
community does.  So, what's the most commonly available NLS mechanism?
catopen() and friends?

        Andrew Kuchling
        address@hidden
        http://people.magnet.com/%7Eamk/