Re: LYNX-DEV SCO to use Lynx

From: Andrew Kuchling
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SCO to use Lynx
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 14:15:37 -0400 (EDT)

Alan Cox wrote:
> What is good is we can generate a LYMessages_nls.h that uses all the
> catgets() stuff for its strings and I think Lynx will basically just work
> with language NLS and the nls libraries included.

        If catopen() is the way to go, then I think the code changes to
Lynx required are:

        1) In main(), call catopen("lynx", flag) to open the catalog
of localized messages, and store the returned nl_catd value in a
global variable LYcatalog.  At the same time, register an atexit()
function to close the catalog before Lynx exits.

        2) LYMessages_en.h then changes, from lines like:
#define BAD_REQUEST "Bad request!"

to something like

#define BAD_REQUEST catgets(LYcatalog, <set number>, <message number>, "Bad
request!")

        The configure script will have to look for catopen(), and if
it's not found the first form should be used.

        The installation and documentation questions are more
complicated; I don't know how the set and message numbers are
maintained, or what a catalog definition file looks like since RedHat
4.1 doesn't seem to have a man page for localedef.  If you're
installing Lynx as a normal user, things get sort of painful...

        Andrew Kuchling
        address@hidden
        http://people.magnet.com/%7Eamk/
Save the Gutenberg Project! http://www.promo.net/pg/nl/pgny_nov96.html