Re: LYNX-DEV OS/2 blowoff

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV OS/2 blowoff
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 20:18:36 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:

> >If this is really a case of what the GPL is trying to prevent (not sure
> >we can conclude that at this point), then it should be of interest to
> >more people than just lynx-dev:  FSF, every linux contributor, ...
>
>       It most certainly is violating one of the key objectives of
> the GNU GPL and FSF's founding principles.  The intent is not to
> to prevent anyone from making money indirectly through use of freeware
> (as many ISPs, and commercial organizations which distribute freeware
> on CDROMs are doing, for example), but to keep the sources open, and
> to ensure that any enhancments will remain available in source from to
> the overall user community.   Distributing binaries -- but not making
> the sources available on one's own initiative or on request, and for
> no more than a *modest* cost of media and distribution -- is a flagrant
> violation of what the GNU GPL and FSF are all about!

Right.  I meant that I was not sure it has been sufficiently established
that the person will not make the sources available on request.  If he is
just not responding to emails, he may be on vacation or lying in hospital,
just the benefit of the doubt thing.  (I don't know how long Wayne has
tried to contact him.)

I don't know how to proceed.

  Klaus

;