Re: LYNX-DEV SCO to use Lynx

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SCO to use Lynx
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 19:17:36 -0700

Faith Zack wrote:

> Well, since Bela has blown my cover, I guess I'll come out of

;-}  I do apologize, but the timing was right (with someone asking about
NLS issues) and I couldn't restrain myself any more...

> hiding and introduce myself.  I'm Faith Zack (the "Mob Psychologist"
> is from an old quote by one of SCO's founder's Doug Michels who
> said something about the software industry being like a giant
> mob running after this and that latest trend, and if you can just
> sit back and figure out where they are going to run next & get out
> in front of them, you can be a leader).  Helping me on the project
> is Yaping Chen (address@hidden) who will probably doing most of
> the lynx related work.

Welcome, Faith & Yaping.

I'm hoping that one small thing SCO can contribute is to actually hand
off the NLS changes; and another, perhaps, would be to hand off
professionally checked message catalogues for some of the languages.  I
know that SCO is willing to spend actual cash money on getting messages
translated -- it's part of the business -- while the Lynx development
group can only get those translations which are provided gratis by
users.

I don't intend this as a promise, just a request, from my position as
Lynx advocate and "Technical Catalyst" at SCO...

> By the way, thanks for all the great work in getting Lynx to where
> it is today.  I was really pleasantly surprised to find that
> frames are now supported.  I've heard tables are in the works too,
> which will help us since we currently ship both netscape and ASCII
> versions of each table, and play nasty games to get the right one
> displayed (with moderate success).

Tables have been "in the works" since I first started looking at Lynx
over 2 years ago.  The changes to accomodate strong table rendering are
extensive; nobody has yet surmounted the challenge.

Meanwhile, though, do be sure to pick up the latest developmental
versions from <http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/>.  Those versions have
major improvements even over the most recent official version, 2.7.1.
Of particular interest to me is a series of improvements to the error
recovery strategies of the SGML/HTML parsers, making current versions of
Lynx far more robust in dealing with the sort of "tag soup" documents
that Netscape/MSIE users tend to put out.

>Bela<
;
;