Re: LYNX-DEV SCO to use Lynx - localization

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SCO to use Lynx - localization
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 21:14:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Mob Psychologist wrote:

> It seems fairly straightforward to add catopen to the LYMessages.h
> file as described by Alan and Andrew.  The next burning question
> I have is will lynx handle multibyte localization (and multibyte HTML
> documents, for that matter).  We do have Japanese localization to
> worry about.

You may want to have a look at the development code currently maintained
by a handful of people, see <URL:http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/>.
It contains my "chartrans" mods.  They are not "finished", but work for
many "normal" cases (still excluding important things like correct
translation in ALT strings, except from Latin-1).

This is about recognizing and charset-translating documents
from/to more character sets than Lunx2-7 already provides.  (table-based,
tables for translation and replacement strings have to be compiled in,
Display character set has to be set by user as before - see Options
screen.)  It is not about localizing messages or translating keyboard
input, form field input also currently is not translated (although
the same functions could be used).  It doesn't use any locale stuff.

The only "multibyte" stuff added is support for UTF-8 (since Unicode
is used internally anyway).  I have tried to just not break the CJK
support already existing in 2.7 (see also NHE's mail), which I don't
quite understand, but there is no translation from/to those character
sets added.

> By the way, thanks for all the great work in getting Lynx to where
> it is today.

Maybe in exchange you can ask your lawyers, who presumably already talked
to the University of Kansas, for advice about the "The OS/2 Guy"
problem -- now that SCO has a commercial interest in keeping Lynx
available, open, and developing.

  Klaus

;
;