LYNX-DEV minor display problem (?character 0xA2?)

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: LYNX-DEV minor display problem (?character 0xA2?)
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 02:46:01 -0700

http://www.demos.su/ -- on an 80-column display, the first line of the
display contains four links.  (I can't read the link names due to
character set (and language :-) problems, but that's irrelevant.)

A display problem occurs with this page.  On older Lynx versions (see
below), the first four links display like:

  | link1-win | link2-koi | link3-dos |   link4-iso

with two extra spaces before link4.  Moving the cursor through these
links tracks correctly.

On newer Lynx versions, the initial display does not have those extra
spaces:

  | link1-win | link2-koi | link3-dos | link4-iso

But when I move the cursor forward to link4, the highlighted "current
link" displays in the same position as in older versions:

  | link1-win | link2-koi | link3-dos | lilink4-iso
                                          ^^^^^^^^^
I can correct the problem by replacing the single occurrence of
character 0xA2 (in link3) with another character.

This is on SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.0, various versions of Lynx all
built with SCO cc and SCO libcurses.  It occurs when using terminal
types "vt102", "ansi", or "ansi_ncc" (SCO ansi with no color); it does
not occur when using "wy60".  Lynx set up for IBM PC character set, raw
mode off.  Fooling with the character set changes the behavior in
non-obvious ways.

The problem did not occur with these older binaries: 2.5,
2.5FM-96-07-19, 2.6, 2.6RP.  It does occur with these binaries: 2.7-PRE,
2.7ac-0.31, 2.7.1ac-0.19.

An hour later: it's because character 0xA2 is eventually being
translated to 0x9b on output.  The SCO ANSI console takes 0x9b as CSI,
Control Sequence Initiator, same as ESC [.  This is pretty standard
behavior for ANSI terminals of various sorts.  Not sure what can be done
about it.

>Bela<
;
;