Re: LYNX-DEV minor display problem (?character 0xA2?)

From: Hynek Med
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV minor display problem (?character 0xA2?)
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 16:53:56 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Fri, 2 May 1997, Bela Lubkin wrote:
> > An hour later: it's because character 0xA2 is eventually being
> > translated to 0x9b on output.  The SCO ANSI console takes 0x9b as CSI,
>                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Control Sequence Initiator, same as ESC [.  This is pretty standard
> > behavior for ANSI terminals of various sorts.
>
> The IBM PC character set (cp437) contains a visible character at that
> position.  Since you are telling Lynx that that is your display character
> set, when apparently it is not, you shouldn't be surprised about unusual
> results.

Well, it happens to me with ISO-8859-2 display character set too. It
looks that ISO-8859-2 Display character set should be declared as not
having visible characters at that area?

Or perhaps we need another option to determine whether we can actually
display the characters in the control area? My reason for this: what is
cp437 good for anyway? I mean, when you have a VT100 emulator like NCSA
telnet or PDCURSES in the MSDOS versions, it should interpret the control
characters as control characters, not to display them, so all character
sets should be declared as non-displaying characters in the control area..
:-)

Hynek

--
Hynek Med, address@hidden