Re: LYNX-DEV upgrade lynx_help files to html 3.2

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV upgrade lynx_help files to html 3.2
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 13:16:14 -0500 (EST)

Al Gilman <address@hidden> wrote:
>  From: Foteos Macrides <address@hidden>
>  Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV upgrade lynx_help files to html 3.2
>
>       Your Subject: line and intentions are misleading.  If you want
>  to go from the IETF's HTML 3.0 to the W3C's so-called HTML 3.2, then
>  you are DOWNgrading the online 'h'elp, and there's no need for that,
>  because it's intended for Lynx, which supports all of the real HTML
>  3.0 markup, plus can be validated with its current, HTML 3.0 DOCTYPE
>  declaration.
>
>       Don't be one of the sheep!  Strive to be an eagle!
>
>Some questions:
>
>Is the IETF still fighting for what is in 3.0 or has the IETF
>closed up shop w.r.t. HTML?

        The IETF was pushed out or HTML standardization, but without
resistance because it is a volunteer organization and it's volunteers
grew weary of being ignored by the "captial venture".  It is unlikely
to get involved again, because requests for volunteers to chair WGs
related to HTML go wanting.

>Whom do we consider to be the audience for the Lynx help files?
>Should these meet "Any Browser" guidelines?
>
>Do we want to keep Lynx our dirty little secret?
>Where else do I have marketing literature that is as good as
>the "Supported URLs" page?
>
>People should not be required to download, unzip, and compile
>just to learn how good Lynx is.  As I wander the halls of
>Government to talk up the story that "Lynx is Alive and Well" I
>would like the people I meet to be able to walk the Web of Lynx
>support sites, starring the online Help files, with the
>employer-furnished Netscape that is already on their desktop and
>which they sorta know.

        The orginal IETF HTML-WG had a charter to, first, standardize
"existing practice" as HTML/2.0, and then to standardize HTML+ as
HTML/3.0.  HTML+ and its embodiment in the HTML/3.0 draft is geared
toward "graceful degredation".  There is nothing in the Lynx online
'h'elp which does not degrade gracefully for non-Lynx browsers.  Larry
simply chewed away feathers from an eagle as if he were gnawing on
grass. :) :)

                                Fote