Re: LYNX-DEV looking for "Files" ???

From: Jonathan Sergent
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV looking for "Files" ???
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 17:27:26 -0500

 ] the browser used to work, now it simply says looking for "files"..
 ] www.files.com
 ] www.files.edu
 ] www.files.net
 ] www.files.org
 ] (not necessarily in that order)
 ] what can I do to correct this???
 ] I read the enclosed files but did not find anything that addresses this.

I ran into the same problem while trying to install Lynx on a friend's
Win95 machine.  Based on what I deduced then, I bet the directory it's
being run from has a space in it; if you have installed lynx as

"C:\Program Files\lynx\lynx.exe"

then Windows understands the space, but lynx thinks it's called
c:\Program and you want to look at "Files/lynx/lynx.exe" which it
tries to expand to http://www.files.[foo]/lynx/lynx.exe (where you
specify possible values for foo in lynx.cfg or at compile-time).

The quick fix:
    Put it in a directory without a space in the name and this ought
    go away.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. . .

Is there a clean way to fix this?  If not, it should go into the
installation instructions in a Win32 section or something.  For
that matter, I noticed that userdefs.h lists alternatives for
Unix and for VMS but doesn't mention which items one should change
for Windows.

--jss.
;
;