Re: LYNX-DEV time for 2-7-2 ? (was numbered forms)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV time for 2-7-2 ? (was numbered forms)
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 12:07:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 3 May 1997, Scott McGee (Personal) wrote:

> I would be more intrested in how the developers (Fote, notice that I didn't
> include you here! You are just doing some hacking while on your "vacation"
> [or possibly retirement], right?) feel about their code. How complete are
> the various new additions, and how stable are they? I get the feeling that
> while it is progressing nicely, that autoconf has a bit to go yet.

Probably.

> I kinda get the impression that chartrans is fairly stable,

That I haven't made many changes recently doesn't mean there aren't many
changes that need to be made...

> and win32 seems to be
> fairly stable too from what I gather. The new parsing stuff is a different
> issue. I don't know what Klaus thinks, but he'd be the one to decide.

It wasn't my intention that a new "released" Lynx version should have
those two switchable ways of parsing HTML that are in the devel code now.
This was meant as a convienient way to test and compare alternatives,
suitable for "development code" and interested testers.  If people feel
this would be useful to keep in a more official version, after
necessary refinement, then it can stay, otherwise it should go - maybe
after combining the advantages of both approaches into one compromise
approach (should there be advantages to both, and should they be
combinable..).

I would like to see more people test the devel code, report back on their
findings, and thus take advantage of the opportunity to influence the
result of "development".  Those readers who feel only confused about the
various things they read about on this list might decide to become less
confused, by grabbing the devel code (or fotemods) and trying it out for
themselves.

   Klaus

;
;