LYNX-DEV SEGV abort in lynx 2.7.1

From: Aidan Evans
Subject: LYNX-DEV SEGV abort in lynx 2.7.1
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 18:57:55 -0300 (ADT)

  I recently downloaded Lynx 2.7.1 from http://www.slcc.edu/lynx to an AIX
4.1.4 system and compiled it with IBM's C 3.1.3.  I used the distributed
Makefile.  It seemed to be working fine, but when I pressed "h" for help
the result was

        A Fatal error has occurred in Lynx Ver. 2.7.1

        Please notify your system administrator to confirm a bug, and

        Lynx now exiting with signal:  11

        IOT/Abort trap(coredump)

Signal 11 is SEGV.  The same fault occured when I attempt to read the main
help file directly with

        lynx lynx_help_main.html

Just to be sure, I validated lynx_help_main.html with "A Kinder, Gentler
HTML Validator", and it reported no problems.
  If I change line 46 of this file from "<ul plain>" to "<ul>", the page is
displayed, apparently correctly.  This is the section of the file where it
has

  Line 40       | <a href="http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/";
                >HTML 3.2</a>

                <ul plain>
                <li><a href="http://www.stonehand.com/doc/";
                >Spyglass/Stonehand Technical Reference</a>
  Line 46       <ul plain>
                <li><a
                href="http://www.stonehand.com/doc/comments.html";
                >Keep Your Comments Legal</a>
                </ul>

Running "dbx" on the core file from the fault shows

        Type 'help' for help.
        reading symbolic information ...warning: no source compiled with -g

        [using memory image in core]

        Segmentation fault in HTML_start_element at 0x10029b80
        0x10029b80 (HTML_start_element+0x5948) b0e5002c        sth   r7,0x2c(r5)
        (dbx) where
        HTML_start_element() at 0x10029b80
        start_element() at 0x1001d5c0
        SGML_character() at 0x1001bb34
        SGML_write() at 0x1001b398
        HTFileCopy() at 0x10040f54
        HTParseFile() at 0x10040bb4
        HTLoadFile() at 0x100359d4
        HTLoad() at 0x10032750
        HTLoadDocument() at 0x10032274
        HTLoadAbsolute() at 0x100334bc
        getfile() at 0x10080ab0
        mainloop() at 0x100755fc
        main() at 0x100016f8

The last few lines of "lynx -trace -dump lynx_help_main.html" are

        Entered HTAnchor_findAddress
        New anchor 2004e958 has hash 42 and address
        `http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/'
        Linking anchor 2004e3d8 to anchor 2004e958
        HTML:begin_element: adding style to stack - Menu
        SGML: End </A>
        HTML:end_element: Popped style off stack - Menu
        SGML: Start <UL>
        GridText: Change to style text/x-setext
        GridText: split_line called
        HTML:begin_element: adding style to stack - text/x-setext
        SGML: Start <LI>
        SGML: Start <A>
        new Anchor 2004e118 named `' is child of 20049248
        Entered HTAnchor_findChildAndLink
        HTParse: aName:http://www.stonehand.com/doc/
        relatedName:file://localhost/home
        /ae/sources/lynx/lynx_help_main.html
        1
        HTParse: result:http://www.stonehand.com/doc/
        HTParse: aName:http://www.stonehand.com/doc/   relatedName:
        HTParse: result:
        Entered HTAnchor_findAddress
        New anchor 2004e568 has hash 48 and address
`http://www.stonehand.com/doc/'
        Linking anchor 2004e118 to anchor 2004e568
        HTML:begin_element: adding style to stack - text/x-setext
        SGML: End </A>
        HTML:end_element: Popped style off stack - text/x-setext
        SGML: Start <UL>
        HTML:begin_element: adding style to stack -
        SGML: Start <LI>
        GridText: split_line called

  It seems unreasonable that I should be the first person to press "h" in
Lynx 2.7.1 and thus be the discoverer of a bug, so the failure makes me
suspect bad code generated by the compiler optimization.  I'm going to
re-compile with "-g" instead of "-O" and see if I have any better luck.
I'd appreciate knowing of successful AIX 4 compilations of Lynx 2.7.1 where
"h" does work.

Aidan Evans | address@hidden | Computer Facilities & Operations
            | 494-3332     | University Computing & Information Services
                           | Dalhousie University, Halifax, N.S., Canada

;
;