Re: LYNX-DEV lynx2.7.1ac-0.20 available

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx2.7.1ac-0.20 available
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 15:20:41 -0700

Al Gilman wrote:

> Of course, the eyeball behavior that I was not thinking about is
> the ability to rapidly acquire the first highlight on the page,
> and by shape recognition move to the top of the paragraph or list
> that the hit is in.
>
> It sounds as though a lynx.cfg configuration setting is the most
> desirable out.  I think we can be reasonably confident that
> people using one-line Braille displays, will also prefer that the
> hit appear on the top line.
>
> Feedback from speech users would be nice to have, but if
> configurability is not a big deal, it may be possible to figure
> out how to proceed without that feedback.

I like my searches to act like in an editor: each time I hit "next", the
hilight jumps to the very next match -- even if it's on the same line as
the previous match.  This helps my visual scan for the search phrase.
If the screen contains many matches, the cursor should jump forward on
the same screen, without causing a redraw, until it's on the last match;
then and only then should it draw a new screen, with the next match near
the top of the screen.

I imagine -- perhaps incorrectly -- that it might be helpful for a
visually impaired user if each search caused the screen to be redrawn
with the new match near the top of the screen.  Obviously the details
depend on the type and sophistication of the screen-reader software.  A
sophisticated reader program should be able to deal with the method I
prefer, by "noticing" that a highlight has been turned off and another
turned on.  Lynx should not *assume* that level of sophistication, but
it should definitely *accomodate* that level if it exists.

>Bela<
;
;