Re: LYNX-DEV lynx2.7.1ac-0.20 available

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx2.7.1ac-0.20 available
Date: Tue, 6 May 97 09:43:56 EDT

On Tue, 6 May 1997 09:13:00 +0900 (JST),
Nelson Henry Eric   <address@hidden> wrote:

>I think most if not all of us like to have the context in which the
>word we are searching for is found.  When the first instance of the
>keyword is displayed at the very top line, it often means having to
>backup a page, which again often forces a redraw of the screen and
>then the keyword is on the previous page, so you never quite get what
>you want without juggling ^P and ^N.
>
>Would it be significant for those with screen magnifiers or other
>specialized circumstances if the first hit of the searched-for word
>were displayed on a specific line, say line four?  Klaus indicated
>that it would not be difficult to set a specific line.

<snip>
>So this is what I'm asking and hope you'll all respond to, if you
>know exactly what line it is going to be displayed on, e.g. line 4,
>is that enough, or does it have to be the top line?  If it has to
>be the top line, then, yes, it would probably be best to set up
>a configurable scheme.

Forcing the Whereis results to a specific line number will force
screen redraws, as it does now, and we can deal with them with the
"shut-up" key, the most important keystroke of a speech screen
reader.  Knowing that the Whereis string will be consistently on line
4 will be just as good as knowing it will be consistently on line 2.

I thought of another scheme where the cursor or the "link highlight"
attribute was moved to the search string, regardless of where it was
on the screen.  If this was on a link and you pressed Enter, you would
select the link as usual.  If it was highlighted only by virtue of
being a search string, and you tried to select it, you would get an
error message such as "The item you searched for does not include a
link.  Press arrow keys to move."

I like the first method better.

Now if I have enough time here at work, I can try out AC20 which
Wayne has compiled for DOS.

You folks do good work.  Please don't spend too much time arguing.
There are a lot of people using this program still.

-- Lloyd Rasmussen
Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress          202-707-0535
(work)       address@hidden    www.loc.gov/nls/
(home) address@hidden

;
;