Re: LYNX-DEV lynx2.7.1ac-0.20 available

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx2.7.1ac-0.20 available
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 04:37:08 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Al Gilman <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 08:59:15 -0400 (EDT)
> Laura Eaves uses a screen magnifier and starts with the
> upper-left portion of the eighty by twenty four characters.  She
> definitely prefers that the match which has been found be on the
> top line of the displayed page.

Al -- you apparently haven't read the succeeding posts on this thread.
I believe I said in a subsequent post that it would be fine -- and in fact
preferable -- to have the match appear on the 3rd or 4th line of the display.
This would be a known distance from the top (instead of of 1/3 or 1/2 the way
down the screen) and so would be easy to find by someone using either speech
or screen magnification.  It would also give the context information everyone
wants

> She pointed out that speech users, at least many of them, have no
> indication of text highlighting in their speech output.  This
> still leaves me unclear as to what speech users would prefer.  If
> one does a "read line" after the page loads, one might want the
> hit to be on that line.  If one lets the page load and then does
> a "read screen" it might actually be preferred to have a line or
> more of context read off before the line with the hit in it is
> spoken.  This is the notion that I was focused on when I first
> suggested the change.
> It sounds as though a lynx.cfg configuration setting is the most
> desirable out.  I think we can be reasonably confident that
> people using one-line Braille displays, will also prefer that the
> hit appear on the top line.

here again, there has also been a lot of discussion on this thread about
the desirability of using the options menu rather than lynx.cfg for
display options.  This would make it more accessible for people who don't
know about lynx.cfg or who don't have a shell account and so can't specify
command line options.

> Feedback from speech users would be nice to have, but if
> configurability is not a big deal, it may be possible to figure
> out how to proceed without that feedback.

Feedback is always good.  I would also like feedback from users on this list
about the patch I posted earlier to add a new keypad_mode that would
number form fields and buttons as well as links.  This allows hte user to jump
directly to a form field by typing a number.  It also allows you to select an
option in a popup menu by number.

I and a number of users (blind and sighted) have been using this
patch for a while, but I would appreciate feedback
from others as well, whether or not you try it yourself, as to
how useful you think it would be to you.
Thanks in advance.
--le

;
;