LYNX-DEV patches (numbered forms + highlighting)

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: LYNX-DEV patches (numbered forms + highlighting)
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 07:39:51 -0400 (EDT)

I again updated my patch files to ac-0.22

Before I go any further, I was wondering how probable it is that
the form numbering patch will be picked up by anyone.
If the developers that be are dead set against it, I don't know that I
want to bother updating it continually for the people who so far have
been using it.
(Of course, if I stop updating it you will have that many fewer testers
for your devel code...)

Since last week there have been no bugs found in it (except for the
problems with Klaus' 123g command, which part of my code is based on).

I personally find this feature saves me time.  It does not affect anyone who
chooses not to use it.  The diff is only about 1000 lines.

Are there reasons I'm not aware of for not wanting to incorporate it?
The only little nit I see so far is that when you use the list command
in this mode, the numbers on the listed URLs may not match the link numbers
in the original document (if that document contains forms).  Is this a real
problem?  (There are klugy ways to fix this...  But I don't want to spend
time on it for nothing.)

As for the highlighting fix, Klaus has already given reasons for not
wanting it, and I have taken care to make the diffs for it separate from
the diffs for the forms patch.

(I do think that a similar fix is going to be needed even if you pick
up RP's style sheet code.  I saw the same highlighting problem in lynx2-6RP,
only on different links.  I don't see a way around passing some kind of
style / attribute info through HText_beginAnchor() and HText_beginInput(),
for use in the highlight() function, even if the details are different from
my patch.)

Anyway, just curious.
Feedback appreciated.
(And as soon as I get a response, I have more bug reports...)
--le

;
;