Re: LYNX-DEV mailto?

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV mailto?
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 08:42:32 -0400 (EDT)

  From: address@hidden (guest login)
  To: address@hidden
  Subject: LYNX-DEV mailto?
  Cc: address@hidden

  Is the "mailto" something that has to be set up from within a
  specific link or can I use the "mailto" from anywhere in the
  web.  In other words, can this be used to e-mail anyone from
  anywhere to do I have to go back into my e-mail program everytime.
  Thanks, I'm at address@hidden  Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn,

I want to distinguish two "where's" to try to answer your question.
We have to note a difference between where the web page is served
from and where your browser is running.

The site where the web page lives makes no difference in your
ability to send mail.  The site where your browser runs may make
a difference.  If you use Lynx from a shell account that you
personally own, you should be able to send mail anywhere using a
mailto: URL that you found in an HTML page or manually by putting
the mailto: URL in response to the "open URL:" prompt as part of
the g)o-to-URL command.

Sites that allow anonymous use may impose restrictions on how you
can send mail, but these will vary from site to site.  Many
individuals running browsers on their home computer will not be
able to use mailto: URLs only because they have never done the
installation to connect their Web-reader with a mail-sender.
Lynx contains its own mail-sender.

Hope this helps.

--
Al Gilman