Re: LYNX-DEV Centering <pre> text.

From: Gunnar Strand
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Centering <pre> text.
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 09:32:36 +0200 (MET DST)

Foteos Macrides uttered:
> Foteos Macrides <address@hidden> wrote:
> >[..]
> >     It makes no difference whether the centering is done line-by-line,
>
>       Oops, it just dawned on me what you're seeking.  Do you want
> the block centered with respect to its longest line, but every line
> left justified to what turns out to be the left indentation of that
> longest line?  I don't think that's what DIV ALIGN=center literally
> instructs, is it?  Wouldn't you need an alignment attribute for PRE
> itself, that's defined to apply to the block as a whole?

You're right. But I'm not looking for that behaviour for PRE, but
rather if you use PRE within a TABLE, which would induce the above
behaviour. Of course a PRE should not be tampered with, even if
within CENTER.

So, a TABLE with only one cell containing a PRE tag should be rendered
as you described. How can I go about it? I'd prefer not having to
perform centering in my preformatting filter, which I do now.

Luck, Gunnar!
--
AlleyWay: http://pedgr297.sn.umu.se
PARDON me, am I speaking ENGLISH?