Re: LYNX-DEV secure browser

From: tzeruch
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV secure browser
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 11:18:05 -0400

On Wed, 7 May 1997 address@hidden wrote:

> A question from one of my users: does Lynx have or plan to have
> a "secure" capability ?
>      * a [7]secure browser that supports 128 bit encryption, no cache and
>        Secure Socket Layer (SSL).
>  (BTW, user _loves_ Lynx, does not want to change to Netscape ;-) )
> I searched the User's Guide for "secure" and found nothing.
> I searched CHANGES. for secure and found some stuff relating to cookies
>  which appears not relevant.
>
> The user is trying to access his account via link # 4 at
>       http://www.vanguard.com/new/announce/NW19961210A.html";
> and gets the following message:

>   >    [1][Account Access]
>   >   Please update your browser to access your accounts.
>   >
>   >    The current browser version you are using does not support our
>   >    [2]security requirements. If you are using Netscape you must upgrade
>   >    to the U.S. or Domestic grade with 128-bit encryption. Select the
>   >    Netscape link below to upgrade your browser.

The current SSL implementation I am using with Lynx (via my proxy) is more
stringent than Netscape on security.  But they are checking some field
like the User Agent string (which identifies the browser) and rejecting
the connection.

If your version of Lynx allows changing the User Agent ([O]ptions,
user[A]gent), and you aren't worried about potential trademark or
copyright infringement set this to:

Mozilla/3.0 (X11; U; Compatible Lynx)

And it will access the page.

To really access ssl, you need either the SSL code or the SSL proxy, and
paths to these are found on some of the Lynx support pages.

> Susan
> -----
> Susan C. Bredesen, VMS System Manager  EMAIL: address@hidden
> VOICE:        617-377-3713, FAX: 617-377-3160
> USMAIL:       Phillips Laboratory/GPSS,29 Randolph Road,Hanscom AFB,MA
> 01731-3010

;
;