Re: freopen (was: Re: LYNX-DEV 4DOS)

From: Andrew Kuchling
Subject: Re: freopen (was: Re: LYNX-DEV 4DOS)
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 12:58:56 -0400 (EDT)

Alan Cox wrote:
>And it also doesnt work on stuff like AFS that has funny permission semantics
>Why not just open the file and if it works open it again ?

That would be simplest.  Presumably we don't have to worry about
symlink attacks, since this feature would be disabled for anonymous
accounts so people can't fill up your disk, and an attacker can't
write arbitrary (and possibly executable) data to the file.  I don't
yet know if the only output to stderr comes from tracing output, and
will check every occurrence of stderr before doing this.

        (Hmmm... yet *another* thing for the Options screen; maybe I
should consider trying to turn the options screen into a form before
doing the trace file stuff.  It might be more generally useful than
the trace file feature.)

        Andrew Kuchling
        address@hidden
        http://people.magnet.com/%7Eamk/