Re: LYNX-DEV Re: ...vulnerability in Lynx...

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: ...vulnerability in Lynx...
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 04:25:20 -0400

Re: For the benefit of us pseudo-sysadmins not worth their salt, would someone
> be willing to explain `setting the sticky bit' of a directory, how to know
> if it is set properly, and if it is not, how to set it?  Many TIA.

I would suggest starting by reading the man page for chmod(1) and chmod(2).
This is one place at least where Solaris 2.x documents the chmod number
to use .

However, as a summary.  The sticky bit is, as I mentioned earlier, a
way to indicate that within a directory, a group or everyone can create
files in a directory, but that these files can only be deleted or renamed by
the owner or root.

On Solaris, the stickyness of a directory comes from an extra permission
number added to the chmod against tmp.  One might say
chmod 1777 /tmp
to mark /tmp as sticky.  When I do an
ls -l /tmp
I see
drwxrwxrwt   4 sys      sys         1406 May  9 04:23 /tmp

See the t at the end of the permissions?  That's how Solaris 2.x marks
the directory as sticky.
;