Re: LYNX-DEV wish list -- ftp login:password URLs

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV wish list -- ftp login:password URLs
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 04:43:04 -0400

> How about support for netscape-style ftp login/password URLs?

> example:  ftp://login:address@hidden/

Well, now this has been interesting.  When I read the question, I thought,
"It's in there".  So I decided to try things out.

First I tried

ftp://address@hidden/

(because I didn't want to supply passwd info on the command line or in an
http file).

That prompted me for the passwd and then displayed the directory just fine.

Then I tried

ftp://ftp:address@hidden@ftp.uu.net/

since that's what I assume lynx is using when I do an ftp://ftp.uu.net/
and lynx 2.7.1 (and the development version as well) prompts me for
a password and then tells me it can't connect to the host.

Then I _reread_ the lynx help info on URLs and notice in the RFC that
one must encode @, : and / (and very likely other special characters like
space, tab, quotation marks, etc.) if present in the userid, password.
So I try

ftp://ftp:address@hidden/

and that worked fine.

So, Paul, in conclusion.  What you asked for _is in there_.  However,
be sure to use an encoded URL if you have any special characters in
the list.
;