Re: LYNX-DEV SHOW_CURSOR

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SHOW_CURSOR
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 13:06:53 -0500 (EST)

Wayne Buttles <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Sat, 10 May 1997, Laura Eaves wrote:
>
>> I repeat: Is there anyone who needs the "show cursor" option to be FALSE?
>
>I hate the behavior of lynx -show_cursor.  I do NOT want the cursor to
>follow my surfing.

        The behavior of positioning the cursor at the current link was
added as an option years ago for the benefit of users whose terminals
do not support what FANCY_CURSES designated at that time:  support for
enough character attributes to (1) highlight all links, and (2) make
the current link recognizable through a distinguishable form of
highlighting (e.g., bold for links, and a change to reverse when the
link is current).  It was also intended as an aid for braille.  The
command line -show_cursor was added for the situation when the image
was compiled for "fancy" curses, but the user's terminal (or the
termcap/lib entry for it) didn't "cooperate", or was coupled to braille.

<HTML>
<NOTE CLASS="warning">
Much of what Laura posted recently concerning cursor positioning, how
LINKS_ARE_NUMBERED versus NUMBER_AS_ARROWS modes behave in various
situations, how they affect the 'l'ist output or "Follow link (or
page) number:" features, what's intended to be communicated about
them in the online 'h'elp, etc., are voluminous, self-assured
expressions of misunderstanding, misinterpretation, wrong guesses,
or abject ignorance.  I don't know if anyone has the spare time to
address all that point-by-point, but I caution others to apply grains
of salt when reading those messages.
</NOTE>
</HTML>

                                Fote