Re: LYNX-DEV SHOW_CURSOR

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SHOW_CURSOR
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 00:00:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 10 May 1997, Laura Eaves wrote:

> I repeat: Is there anyone who needs the "show cursor" option to be FALSE?

I always have SHOW_CURSOR set to FALSE. I hate seeing the cursor following
the highlighted links.

> This is the default, but it seems like most people want it TRUE

I don't think so.

> (if they care at all) -- and if lynx isn't compiled for slang or "fancy"
> curses, it's always TRUE anyway. If it is compiled for slang or fancy
> curses, then people seem to use -show_cursor (unless lynx.cfg changes
> SHOW_CURSOR to TRUE).

I compile Lynx with FANCY_CURSES and I don't want to see the cursor.

> My reason for bringing it up is that I'm wondering if there's a reason to
>  a) throw away the option altogether (just make it TRUE all the time), or

That's a very, very, very bad idea.

>  b) at least set the default to TRUE (if there are people who actually want
>     it FALSE, they're in the minority, so why make the default FALSE?).

In what are you based for saying that "they're in the minority"? I see no
reason, except for people who use text-to-speech translators, for having the
cursor displayed.

Ismael