LYNX-DEV Re: the fragment thing (was: hidden links mods)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: the fragment thing (was: hidden links mods)
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 17:58:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 11 May 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>       The Fielding draft specifies how to resolve partial references
> in markup to absolute URLs, and includes a change from all existing RFCs,

RFC 1866 (HTML 2.0) says something about it.

> specifying that when a partial reference has only a fragment, it should
> be resolved versus the current document's URL, even if a different base
> is in effect due to a BASE tag or a Content-Base (or Content-Location,
> under some circumstances) header or META tag.

I do not find there that it should be resolved in *any* way.

Conditions under which a URL reference without a URL *should* be
resolved to an absolute URL are specifically given (section 3, last
paragraph).  I can only conclude that when those conditions do not
apply, such an URL reference should not be resolved to an absolute
URL, otherwise mentioning those conditions wouldn't make any sense.

Now, RFC1808 may have said something else.  The whole www Library or
all existing clients may be based on something else.  But that is not
what we are discussing.

> The draft says nothing,
> whatsoever, about how a UA should handle the resolved, absolute URL
> (plus fragment, if present).

It does, however, say something about how a UA should handle a URL
reference with an empty URL: "... should not result in an additional
retrieval action."  It does not say anything like that about
URL-which-happens-to-be-the-same-as-current-document's + fragment, so
I have to assume that "the usual rules" for URL + fragment apply.

[ *snip*, leaving something for another mail... ]

>       So, if this explanation still is inadequate, I sincerely hope
> you will take up the matter with Fielding directly, and get it
> straightened out.

I just sent the mail, to Fielding and address@hidden (I assume you are
also subscribed).  Maybe we can take it there, and let peace and
harmony return to lynx-dev. :) :)

   Klaus

;
;