Re: LYNX-DEV Proxy authentication

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Proxy authentication
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 21:57:07 -0500 (EST)

"Brian Tillman, x8425" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>      I can't reproduce the problem you describe, neither on VMS
>>nor on Scott's SPARC.  Did you do a clean make, or its VMS equivalent
>>by using build.com instead of MMS?
>
>I always use BUILD.COM.
>
>>      That "Enter Username and/or Password" is in the position where
>>the realm should be, and is not coming from Lynx.  Have you set up
>>your proxy server properly.  Maybe it needs some salt. :) :(
>
>I have nothing to do with the proxy server and cannot change one jot or tittle
>of its configuration.
>
>Thanks for checking.

        Let me be more precise.  I *can* reproduce what you're seeing
if I set up proxy authentication with that string as the realm, so that
Lynx receives this header, which you can see if you are getting too
by using TRACE mode:

        Proxy-Authenticate: Basic Realm="Enter Username and/or Password"

Netscape doesn't require the double quotes around a realm value with spaces
so Lynx doesn't either (no harm done about that MIME non-compliance, except
for the yukkieness of it :), and thus they may not be there in your tlog.
If you do see that in the tlog, you should contact the server admistrator,
because it's doubtful that's the intended realm value for that server.

                                Fote