Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and braille

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and braille
Date: Tue, 13 May 97 13:57:58 EDT

On Tue, 13 May 1997 07:51:49 -0400,
Larry W. Virden, x2487  <address@hidden > wrote:

>For the benefit of enlightening those of us who are multi-sense deprived
>(otherwise known as sighted), could someone describe for us how one uses
>lynx and braille?  Is there somehow a Braille 'screen' that one can use
>with cursor positioning, etc.?

For all you people with light dependence:

There are two ways in which Braille and computers connect.  For the
past 30 years we have had various kinds of embossers which could act
as printers for braille documents.  They have gradually improved and
become less expensive, but they are still in the above-$1700 range.
Usually, if you are going to read a document in hard-copy braille, you
want to run the source file through a braille translation program
which adds contractions (standardized abbreviations) and reformats the
document to fit the standard braille page size, usually 25 lines per
page, 40 braille characters per line.  Because braille copies, even
when embossed on both sides of a page, take up a lot of space (a
World Book Encyclopedia took up 32 linear feet of shelf space in 145
volumes), a serious effort is expended in reducing the amount of blank
lines and hard page breaks.  This all means that you need a formatter
for the translated braille.  People have been working on this problem,
and both of the major American braille translation programs, Duxbury
and MegaDots, can accept HTML 2 and do something nice with it.

But I didn't answer your question.  How do we get interactive
braille and use it with Lynx?  How was the output of Lynx adapted for
this medium?

Over the last 20 years, various companies have developed "refreshable"
braille displays.  Due to the high cost and mechanical constraints,
they consist of one line of braille cells.  Models are available that
can display a single line of 18, 20, 40, 65 or 80 characters.  Because
braille is produced at one standard size, the "pitch" is usually 4
characters per inch, so an 80-cell braille display will be 20 inches
wide.  This is a rather wide sweep for one hand or two.  Each of the 6
or 8 dots that form a braille character must be pushed up and
retracted by a piezoelectric actuator that is driven by a source of a
couple hundred volts at a minute current. A one-line 80-cell display
costs about $15,000; 20 cells will cost about $4,000.  But if you are
deaf-blind, or do programming, or want to accurately see the format of
documents you type, you will find a way to get one of these
refreshable displays.  There should be more descriptions at
www.telesensory.com and
www.humanware.com

The braille display is driven by a screen reading program designed for
the purpose, running under DOS or a DOS box.  The screen reader keeps
the user informed of changes throughout the 25 by 80 screen, and
must do some kind of mapping onto the number of characters
available.  It will follow the system cursor.  It can be programmed to
follow a highlight bar of a color if such a color is consistently
used.  Bookmarks can be set so you can go to the top and bottom of
screen, or some other user-defined spot like line 4 as we discussed
last week.  The whole line won't be displayed if it isn't an 80-cell
display; I would guess that 40 cells is the most common.  There are
keys for advancing the display through the screen, skipping over blank
areas if desired.  The user can determine whether or not to display
screen color attributes, how to indicate the position of the cursor,
whether to translate the text into contracted braille "on the fly",
etc.  The screen reading software is monitoring the screen for
changes, and these changes are being caused by a communications
program, a telnet program, or Lynx or Bobcat running on the PC
itself.  The screen reader may generate tones through the PC speaker
to help keep users who can hear informed of activity that is too fast
for braille display.  The user can control whether to slave the
display "window" to the cursor position or roam around the screen and
not "snap to" the cursor if the cursor moves.  It's a different way of
grokking the fullness of a 2000-character screen, a little bit like
viewing it with screen magnification software, but with that software
restricted to a fixed number of characters of one line.

I could probably go on about why different kinds of error messages
should be displayed for different lengths of time, but I don't
actually use a braille display nowadays.  I used them a lot in the
past, and should probably get back into it.  I use speech output,
which is another way of grokking the screen.  I don't number the links
and don't use show_cursor, and have things set up so that I hear very
little speech unless I ask for it.

I know it's a long answer, but you asked for it!
[link]  [link] [link]
Click *here* for more information ...

-- Lloyd Rasmussen
Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress          202-707-0535
(work)       address@hidden    www.loc.gov/nls/
(home) address@hidden

;
;