Re: LYNX-DEV https/ssl question

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV https/ssl question
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 23:08:13 -0400 (EDT)

> Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 18:27:40 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Doug Kaufman <address@hidden>
> I don't know about the edssl code, but eassl works fine for me without
> any root privileges.  I did change the path for eassl.conf to $HOME/etc/
> and I put all the ssl files in a subdirectory of my home directory.
>
> Since your provider is in the USA, I presume that you are.  Don't forget
> to use rsaref instead of the rsa code included with SSLeay.

Yes, I'm in NJ, a US citizen, and this is for my private use.
I don't know enough about this stuff to know what I need.
Some things I'm still not clear on:
* what are rsaref and rsa?  How do I use one and not the other?  Do I
  have to download something else?  (If there's documentation that could
  answer these questions, please direct me to it.)
* I tried using edssl instead of eassl because the description on Subir's
  patches page says that eassl is "the proxy itself" and edssl is the "whole
  kaboodle (lynx netscape server ...)" whatever that means.
  Actually I downloaded both.  Edssl only contains a few files, but at least
  has a detailed README, which eassl doesn't have.
  So how do I use eassl?
* I've seen a number of posts to lynx-dev mentioning "ITAR" and US export
  restrictions on Fote's ssl patches to lynx -- but at the same time the
  proxy code (which Fote says does more than his patches) and the
  SSL lib source are freely available from Australia and the Netherlands.
  Also, Fote says to get his code all one needs to do is email affirming
  US citizenship, etc.  Seems like if trade is REALLY restricted, it would
  require more than an email exchange.
  But I don't understnad government regulations any better than I understand
  encryption at this point.  If anyone can clarify either or both, feel free
  to respond.  Otherwise, delete this message.

Thanks for replying to my mail.
If you can enlighten me on how to use eassl, I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks!
--le

;
;